The Padilla Group, Crêapan Win ECRM Presidential Tasting Awards 5/19/2016
The Padilla Group, an Eagle Pass, Texas-based importer and marketer of Hispanic products for retailers and foodservice operations, took the top prize at ECRM’s second annual Presidential Chef Culinary Awards, hosted by former White House Military Chef Samuel Morgante during ECRM’s Foodservice EPPS, which took place April 11 to 14 in Atlanta.
The company won for the Black Label Reserve Habanero Hot Sauce from El Yucateco, one of the many brands The Padilla Group imports and markets. “The best way to describe it: ‘unique,’ said Chef Morgante. “They fire-roast it and make it black [from the charring of the pepper in the roasting process]. It’s like they roasted it in the sun to perfection.”
Crêapan, a Netherlands-based provider of pancakes and crepes, took the finalist award for its crepes, which Chef Morgante gave the highest rating for the “taste” category of judging (5 out of 5). “It’s a beautiful product, and should have its own line of sauce!” he said.
Each supplier’s meal was judged on presentation, plating and taste, graded on a score of one to five. The entry with the highest combined score won the grand prize. “The Presidential Chef Culinary Awards give our EPPS suppliers yet another opportunity to showcase their products in a very creative way,” said Kevin Consolo, Category Development Director - Adult Beverage and Foodservice, ECRM. “Participants are also able to get valuable feedback directly from Chef Sam.”
Following is a list of runners-up, along with comments from Chef Morgante:
- Forno de Minas: Brazilian Cheese Rolls with peach dip, and Prosciutto paninis: “Great tasting, delicious – great for dessert development, or creating an apple a la mode product with this roll”
- Frozen Specialties, Inc. (FSI): Chipotle Lime Chicken Pizza: “Wonderful tasting, with a Tex-Mex flare. I highly recommend a greek-gyro version”
- Wow Baking Co.: An array of six cookies (gluten free): “Every university should pick them up for their dining facilities. The key-lime and lemon is to die for!”
- Russo’s Retail: Arugula Prosciutto Pizza: “I can see this in any restaurant as an appetizer.”
- Monti Trenti USA: Aged Italian Cheese: “Awesome flavors, and I love the region [Chef Morgante is from Sicily]. It’s very authentic.