Using Mobile to Track (and Influence) C-Store Foot Traffic 3/14/2018
A study of mobile location data from InMarket uncovered some interesting insights about convenience store traffic. For instance, contrary to many retail channels -- like grocery, mass and drug -- Fridays are the busiest day of the week in terms of foot traffic, while Sundays are the lightest. However, Black Friday actually receives less foot traffic than other Fridays in the fourth quarter, while Fridays in December are the busiest in the quarter.
During his presentation at ECRM's Convenience EPPS, digital marketing expert and Inc. columnist Bill Carmody, Founder and CEO of Trepoint, shared recent convenience store foot traffic research based on InMarket data, and examined the latest location-based insights around C-stores via full market foot traffic analysis of top C-stores around the country. He also explored what separates those C-Stores who are crushing it with those who are struggling to draw in customers and keep them coming back.
According to Carmody, there are five key strategies for which convenience store operators can leverage mobile location data for driving traffic:
- Create serendipitous mobile experiences in-store: Inspire shoppers with mobile content when it matters most -- as they enter the store ready to make purchasing decisions.
- Segment audiences and deliver relevant content across their digital world, whether it's on the desktop computer, mobile or social
- Predict when consumers are "due" for a visit, and engage in the lead-up: by observing a shopper's behavior over time (such as a consumer who stops by for fuel mondays and Thursdays), you can predict when they are "due" for a store visit and engage them accordingly
- Conquest from competition in real time: Sending notifications to consumers when they enter a competitive store
- Reactivate lapsed shoppers: Retargeting shoppers who haven't been in your store for a while, giving them a reason to return.
Of course, once you drive traffic into your stores, it's the product selection that helps to keep coming back, and ECRM's Convenience EPPS is where buyers will find innovative products from new and emerging suppliers!
CLICK HERE TO REGISTER FOR THE 2019 CONVENIENCE EPPS!