Event Buzz: Candy Planning - Everyday & Summer Seasonal 10/20/2015
The latest trends in everyday and summer seasonal candy are focused around clean eating. You can’t walk into a store without seeing candy with ‘Gluten Free’ or ‘Non GMO’ slapped across the packaging and this trend was definitely on point at the ECRM Candy Planning: Every Day & Summer Seasonal event. From room to room buyers couldn’t help but notice the surge in products that boast better for you or local ingredients. One buyer said, “The buyer community is catching on to products with better ingredients. It’s even what some buyers are specifically here to look for.”
The following lists the most popular product and packaging trends seen throughout the event:
Chocolate covered fruits and nuts:
Instead of chocolate covered potato chips or popcorn, it is chocolate covered fruits and nuts that are commanding more of the spotlight. For instance, flavors like coconut to pistachio, were extremely popular. Although still smothered in chocolate, these products allow consumers to indulge their sweet tooth while still being able to stick with a ‘better for you’ option.
From convenience stores to grocery, mass and drug, resealable stand up pouches are taking over the candy aisle and this is directly linked to the better for you movement that is sweeping the industry. You see, with resealable pouches, consumers are able to eat one or two pieces of candy, close the bag and save some for later. This portion control speaks directly to the health conscious consumer.
In addition to the health benefits of resealable stand up pouches, this packaging is also more convenient for those consumers on the go and encourages sharing.
With the rise in cocoa prices manufacturers are releasing more non-chocolate, gummy and sour products to avoid the price surge altogether. One supplier that attended the event said, “Sugar prices have stayed steady which is why we’re seeing sales increase for non-chocolate and sour items.”
With this non-chocolate trend being driven by market prices it will be interesting to see where the industry goes in the future as cocoa prices fluctuate.
- Candy Planning: Christmas & Halloween: February 21-24, 2016 at the Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront in Jacksonville, Florida
- Valentine's Day Candy Boutique: April 17-19, 2016 at the Hilton Chicago/Oak Brook Hills Resort & Conference Center in Oak Brook, Illinois
- Candy Planning: Easter & Valentine’s Day: June 5-7, 2016 at the Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay in Tampa, Florida
- Candy Planning: Everyday & Summer Seasonal: September 19-22, 2016 at the Hyatt Regency in Miami, Florida
- Cupid’s Confections: Prepping for Valentine’s Day
- Candy Industry and ECRM’s Buyer’s Choice Award Winners Announced
- The Growth of 'Masstige' Chocolates